Who hasn’t experienced the mid-afternoon energy crunch? You have a lot of work to do and you’ve lost the energy to get it done. You’re going to need a pick-me-up to get through until quitting time at 5pm and you know just what will do the trick.
You need a cold, creamy drink full of caffeine and sugar! You understand that cold, creamy, sugary drinks have a lot of calories. You know that you have been sitting at your desk all day. Except for the few steps you took to walk to the lunchroom at noon, and the steps you’ll take to get your drink, you know that your daily step count will be well below the 5000 steps that are needed to avoid the sedentary lifestyle classification.
You don’t have a choice. You got to have the drink to get through the day. You can make up for all the calories in that drink by skipping dinner. You want to lose weight, but you gotta have something now or you’ll never have enough energy to do all that must be done.
STOP! You do have a choice. There is a much better way to recharge than downing a high-calorie, caffeine-laced drink.
Get Up! Move!
- Put on a favorite dance track and let loose
- Run in place
- Run up and down flights of stairs
- Go outside, take a brisk run/walk around the block
There’s more you can do to avoid the afternoon energy drain.
- Get at least seven hours of quality sleep each night.
- Eat a high quality diet of mostly whole foods (foods that haven’t been processed. Eat foods the way nature intended.)
- Don’t skip meals.
- Snack on fruits and vegetables.
- Break up long stretches of sitting. Get up after every hour of sitting to move for five minutes.
- Engage in some sort of physically active “play” daily. Do something fun!
Cold, creamy, sugary, caffeine-laced drinks are a treat. They’re a “sometimes food.” You don’t have to give them up altogether, but they are not a good solution for recharging your flagging energy!