Your idea of a better booty may be different than somebody else’s. Whether a better booty is a smaller one, a firmer one, one that’s lifted and toned, it’s easier to get it with a buddy.
Buddies make many things better. Here is why you increase your chances of success with weight loss and exercise buddies.
We are herd animals. We are social beings. We like to do what others around us are doing. If others around us are changing their behaviors and benefitting from the changes we recognize that. We want to change our behaviors to enjoy the same benefits.
There are studies that show buddies enhance success with getting fit and reducing weight. In research published in the Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology in 2005, doctors at Brown Medical School and Dartmouth University found that people who a buddy were more successful.
The best buddy has these qualities:
- Similar goals. You and your body have about the same amount of weight to lose – or if not – the one who reaches goal first is committed to sticking with the program until the other reaches goal, and preferably beyond for lasting maintenance.
- Non competitive nature. While we often think competition is motivating and brings the best out of us, making behavioral changes to support lasting weight-related goals isn’t a competition. Even “friendly competitions backfire.”
- Has cheerleader qualities. Look for somebody who can help you see the positive side of setbacks. There always is one, believe it or not. It’s a matter of analyzing what went wrong and learning ways to avoid the same mistake or trap in the future. A good cheerleader also recognizes the little success as well the big ones and celebrates them all with equal enthusiasm.
- Likes to set and meet S.M.A.R.T. goals (Small – Measurable – Attainable – Relevant – Timely)
- Can be counted on not to bail!
Of course, those are also the qualities you will have to offer your buddy.
- Buddies are there to help you make the choices that support your goals.
- Buddies are there to get you moving and having fun.
- Buddies can help you stop beating yourself up when you slip and get you back on the right track again.
- Buddies give you strength to enjoy your favorite foods in balance and moderation.
- Buddies help ensure your plan is satisfying and that you’re not depriving yourself.
Again, buddies do those things for you and you do them for your buddy!
You can go it alone and you can be successful or you can get a buddy and make getting a better booty a lot more fun and double your chances for success too!