Another year is about to end. The end of the year may mean it’s another year your weight-related goals when unmet. It could even be one of many years that comes to a close and your weight goal eludes you. Here is why you didn’t lose weight in ’16.
You tried too hard. You took the hardest path and when it proved to be impassable you beat yourself up for failing instead of search for another path.
You kicked yourself for being weak and undisciplined because you gave up on weight loss. You don’t recognize that weakness isn’t your problem. You’re strong but you used your strength against you.
You chose the wrong food plan. You read about a new plan that detoxifies your body and resets your system so that you don’t experience cravings. It is the healthiest way to eat. You’ve heard that eating healthy is the best way to lose weight, so you were sure you were on the right plan. It might be a good plan for somebody, but that somebody wasn’t you because…
- You had to eat food you didn’t enjoy.
- You had to give up food and even complete groups that you enjoy.
- If your body was healthier from getting detoxified, there were no obvious benefits such as feeling increased stamina and energy.
- You often felt overwhelmed because your food plan required a lot of time shopping and preparing detox meals and shakes.
- You had to put your life on hold. You could no longer join friends and family to dine out because your food plan was incompatible with most menus.
- You were hungry all the time.
- All the water drinking and tooth brushing didn’t help to take your mind off food.
You thought weight loss was a matter of changing everything about what and how you eat. Like many people you thought losing weight was a simple equation. To lose weight all you have to do is cut calories. That’s correct. Losing weight is a matter of creating an energy deficit. The energy we get from food is measured in calories. Our body uses calories as fuel. If we don’t supply our bodies with adequate fuel, they use stored energy which happens to be body fat. Food is 80% of successful weight loss, but thinking and moving require attention to allow you to make and keep the changes to the way you eat.
- You ignored the influence of stress on your hunger (ghrelin) and satiation (leptin) hormones
- You didn’t know that lack of sleep affected your weight.
- You worked out hard for an hour a few days of the week and except for your workouts became even more sedentary.
- You thought seeking support was a waste of time.
2017 can be the year you lose weight and do it in the way that allows you to stay at goal. Just follow these 3 steps.
- Pick the food plan that’s versatile, flexible and promotes healthier eating habits.
- Sit less, never miss an opportunity to get up and get moving.
- Keep yourself fired up with motivation.