Sunday, Jan 3, 2016 marks the end of the holiday weekend and the 15/16 holiday season. If you’re like a lot of people you’re feeling a little puffy. Here are easy ways to get rid of that Post Holiday Puffy feeling.
- Drink water. Drink lots of water. Much of the holiday puff is from water retention from eating a lot of holiday carbs. All those extra calories coming from sugary treats causes your body to store glycogen in your muscles and liver. Glycogen holds onto water. Oddly, the way to get rid of retained water is to flush it away by drinking more water!
- Avoid alcoholic drinks. They do the opposite of water. Your goal is to hydrate, not dehydrate!
- Focus on lean protein. Protein is the macronutrient that doesn’t make you retain water or feel puffy. It does the opposite. Lean meat, poultry, and fish are good sources of protein, but if you don’t eat flesh you can also get high-quality protein from legumes.
- Snack on fruit and vegetables. Skip the cookies, crackers and cheese.
- Get moving. You don’t have to go to the gym if it isn’t your thing, but do get moving doing something you enjoy, preferably, because that helps you move more. Moving stimulates body functions that help reduce puff. In other words, moving helps you poop.
That’s it! Do these 5 steps and in no time you’ll be feeling and looking less puffy!