You have 31 days until the end of the year. That’s enough time to end the year weighing less than your current weight. Here are 31 easy little things to do to lose as much as 10 pounds before the curtain drops on 2015!
1. Eat more fruit when you want a snack.
2. Fill your plate with vegetables, lots of vegetables.
3. Limit meat servings to no larger, width/depth/length than the size of your hand minus fingers and thumb.
4. Trim all visible fat off all meat before cooking
5. Eat more minimally processed whole grains such as oatmeal and barley.
6. Eat fewer baked goods (i.e. bread, cereal, crackers, pasta, cakes, cookies) and this includes the foods on that list made with whole grains.
7. Limit sweets to two small servings a week.
8. Eat fruit for dessert or any time you want something sweet.
9. Reduce consumption of beverages with calories.
11. Practice non-food stress relief techiques.
12. If you prefer to eat to beat stress do so in a satisfying and controlled way. Believe you can do it because it can be done! It’s a matter of making better food choices when you’re stressed.
13. Pick several activities that involve moving your whole body that you absolutely love. Spend as much time as possible (hours daily preferably) doing them. This includes things such as dancing, walking, rollerskating/blading, hiking, dog training, playing with kids, skiing, gardening, horseback riding, bowling, in other words, Playing!
14. Get 7-8 hours of quality sleep in every 24-hour period.
15. Learn to say, “no” to people. This applies to food pushers and unwanted party invitations particulary.
16. Don’t worry about “being nice” by doing things you don’t want to do.
17. Do “be nice” to yourself.
18. Eat meals at home whenever possible.
19. Make eating meals at home a priority.
20. When eating a meal away from home treat it as you would if you were eating at home. That means if you don’t have drinks, appetizers, huge portions, breaded fried foods, rich sauces and gravies, bread and butter/oil, dessert when you eat meals at home, don’t do it when eating away from home.
21. Eat fewer fried foods.
22. Bake, broil, roast and grill meats, poultry and fish.
23. Avoid sitting for stretches that last longer than an hour. Every hour get up and walk for at least 5 minutes.
24. Move away from the food tables at parties.
25. Become very picky at the buffets.
26. Eat slowly. Chew each bite at least 10 times before swallowing.
27. Sip water between bites.
28. Stop eating before you feel full. Wait a few minutes to see if you begin to feel full. If not take a few more bites, slowly!, and wait again to evaluate how full and satisfied you feel.
29. Don’t worry about cleaning your plate. Your meal is over when you feel full even if there’s still food on the plate.
30. Serve yourself smaller portions.
31. Don’t worry about doing everything on this list perfectly all the time. Do the best you can under the circumstances and let go of any guilt or anger when your best isn’t very good!
Happy New Year!