Please Don’t Tell Me What Will Keep Me Feeling Full Longer

I have read the reports. I know all about the research. I understand the principles of what is supposed to happen in my body when I eat foods with specific macronutrient content.

I know it! I know it! I know it!
…and I’ve tried it, tried it, tried it.
…and it’s not working and I’m tired of following advice that doesn’t work.

I am tired of blaming myself for being unable to conform to research results!

I came to the conclusion that all of the studies and research reveal answers. Those answers apply to the human population in general. Then there are some members of the human population (such as me) to whom the research doesn’t apply.

I’ll start with the research that says, “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” My body agrees! Boy does it agree. I learned that letting too much time pass between the time I rise for the day and eat something has very unpleasant consequences. I start feeling nauseated and headachy. So I eat within a half hour of rising and typically no more than 10 or 15 minutes!

The next bit of Breakfast Research doesn’t apply to me.

It used to be recommended that we start our day with some hearty whole grains. The complex carbs and the fiber in whole grains regulated blood sugar levels and kept us energized and comfortably feeling full all morning. Such was never the case for me. I felt hungry shortly after consuming a steaming bowl or oatmeal.

Oatmeal was once thought to be an excellent breakfast choice. High in complex carbs and soluble fiber to help you have energy to get through the whole morning. Adding fruit makes it even better for you and tastes great. This breakfast left me starving by 9am!

Oatmeal was once thought to be an excellent breakfast choice. High in complex carbs and soluble fiber to help you have energy to get through the whole morning. Adding fruit makes it even better for you and tastes great. This breakfast left me starving by 9am!

New research refutes “complex carbs are the best choice for breakfast.” We’ve “learned” protein is the necessary ingredient for long-lasting satiation in the morning.

I love eggs and there’s no question that they’re a good source of protein. Eggs are a favorite breakfast of mine, but they don’t do much to keep me from getting hungry again very soon – ravenously hungry in fact!

Greek yogurt, another good source of protein, is a breakfast that keeps me feeling full all of 10 minutes after it’s gone.

Smoothies! Made with fruit and yogurt and some "stealth vegetables" for extra vitamins and antioxidants and of course, protein powder. Drinking breakfast is a waste of time and calories for me! NO staying power!

Smoothies! Made with fruit and yogurt and some “stealth vegetables” for extra vitamins and antioxidants and of course, protein powder. Drinking breakfast is a waste of time and calories for me! NO staying power!

A cup of coffee and 2 cookies keeps me feeling full longer than any of the “expert approved” breakfasts. A small piece of cake has even better sticking to the ribs power.

Oh yeah, I can imagine you might read this blog. When I say that cake sticks to my ribs, you’re saying, “well it’s sticking to your arteries at least!” We know that there can be problems with higher blood cholesterol because of food choices. We also know that food affects about 15% of our cholesterol level and our genes dictate the other 85%.

Here it is! My ideal breakfast. Tastes good with coffee, got some fruit for extra flavor and nutrients and will keep me full, satisfied, and energized until I get to stop for lunch which might not even be until 1 or 2 pm!

Here it is! My ideal breakfast. Tastes good with coffee, got some fruit for extra flavor and nutrients and will keep me full, satisfied, and energized until I get to stop for lunch which might not even be until 1 or 2 pm!

Engaging in regular physical activity helps to reduce cholesterol and strengthens the cardiovascular system. Maybe exercise is more important for good health? It’s no secret that people who aren’t hungry and feeling satisfied are more likely to be physically active. So do I eat a high-protein breakfast and feel hungry and under-energized all morning or should I have some cake and coffee and be off and running until noon?

Jackie Conn

About Jackie Conn

Jackie Conn is married and has four grown daughters and four grandchildren. She is a Weight Watchers success story. She's a weight loss expert with 25 years of experience guiding women and men to their weight-related goals. Her articles on weight management have been published in health, family and women's magazines. She has been a regular guest on Channel 5 WABI news, FOX network morning program Good Day Maine and 207 on WCSH.