It’s no secret that your job could be making you fat. There are ways to manage your weight that won’t involve quitting and finding a new job.
Here are 5 easy things you can do on the job and each is an effective weight loss strategy!
1) Elevate the dining experience! Removing a container or anything from a brown bag and digging in with your spoon or fork just doesn’t do much to enhance the pleasure or satisfaction of your meal. It really doesn’t even feel like a meal but more like a punishment. Keep a nice place setting in your office so that you can eat on a real plate with real utensils.
2) Lower the bar. Getting it together to be able to create and pack a meal to eat at work can be an added stress. It’s not just the shopping to have the right food on hand that takes time and effort. Planning meals to take to work, and avoiding eating the same thing day after day is another tough task. Boredom is the biggest enemy of successful weight loss. Don’t put the added stress of perfection on yourself when it comes to packing meals. You don’t have to be super-organized and pack an entire meal every day. Just bring part of it. Try packing salad leftover from last night’s meal and then buy a bowl of soup to fill out your meal.
3) Shop the Sales! Frozen calorie-reduced entrees have come a long way. Canned soups are also tastier and even the low-cal varieties are hearty and filling.
Stock up when they go on sale. On Monday, bring in 5 days worth of low-calorie, frozen dinners and/or canned soups and store in the company refrigerator. It’s an easy way to have lots of variety and avoid boredom with meals.
4) Buddy up your ride! Carpool with a weight-loss buddy.
You’ll save gas money and gain an opportunity to get and give support to keep both of you moving towards your goals.
5) Workplace Workout. Even if it’s just 10 minutes of exercise at a time, get up and move whenever possible. Here are some ideas:
- Take the “long way” back from the restroom every time you make a visit. Better yet, always use the restroom on a different floor. Run up/down the stairs to get there and back.
- Walk to a colleague’s desk rather than e-mailing or calling.
- Always take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Make exercise appointments. Enter them in your smart phone or computer calendar. When the alert goes of for you to take a walk (in place or around the perimeter of your building) treat it just as you would any other appointment. It’s important and you must keep it!
- Make copies at the printer farthest from your desk to get some extra steps.
- Wear a pedometer on the job. Challenge yourself to get at least 3000 steps.
- Stand up as much as you can.
Even if you can’t move away from your desk, do as much of your work standing as possible.
One final bit of advice. You don’t have to do all 5 of these tips to get started on your fitness and weight goals. Do what you can and forget about the rest. Every little action will move you closer, but the best intentions won’t help at all!